Sunday, June 10, 2007

Scoop














'Scoop' - Woody Allens' latest. A murder-mystery comedy about how a student (Scarlett Johansson) and a bumbling magician (Woody Allen) trying to expose a serial killer in London. Scarlett Johanssons' character Sondra suspects the Aristocrat Peter(Hugh Jackman) and they fall in love.

I thought Woody Allens' last film 'Match Point', a tragic thriller was a good movie. So I went to his movie expecting another good film. I did enjoy it, but I don't think it was anything special. It does have some good Woody humour, and Hugh Jackman is great in it, but I think it was weak in areas. I don't think Scarlett Johansson did as well as she could have, she especially seemed to make some lines lose some of their funniness.

The cinematography is really good, especially in some of the scenes that show the cityscape of London. The images are just really nice. Also some of the movie is quite clever, like towards the end when Peter tries to drown Sondra, and believes he has it all figured out, she can't swim, he knows about her fake ID, but there's one more twist, something he overlooked....(I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it).

I do think that people should hire it and see it, but I don't think people should expect anything as good as his better works.

No comments: