Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Time to Leave

Francois Ozon's 'Time to Leave' is, in my opinion, a touching film. Firstly, the theme of terminal cancer is enough to make anyone uncomfortable, with the disease affecting so many people. When Romain rejected treatment in exchange of comfortable last days, I felt veyr sympathetic, but at the same time I was thinking, "Why not give it a go??? Try and live!"

The main points of emotion in the film, such as Romain giving up his boyfriend, Romain's last talk with his Grandmother and Romain giving the couple the child they could not have are all heart warming or heart wrenching, and you really do go through the emotions as Romain does.

I found the final scene really great (where Romain is at the beach) and his last sunset is beautiful and I didn't know if I should feel happy or sad, either way I was touched. The setting sun leaving earth for the day, metaphoric for Romains 'setting life' and depature for the world - touching.

I think it is a really wonderful french film.

No comments: